Friday, June 18

I thought it was odd when I drove up this evening to see Chip’s car parked in the driveway instead of its usual place in the garage. Even more curious was my husband meeting me at my car door rather than waiting for me inside the house. His grin and eyes radiated excitement as he pulled open the door to my SUV.

“Hey, Ells!” He gave me a quick kiss. “Come with me.” Chip led me to the empty side of the garage, away from the door leading into the house. To my surprise he took my shoulders and turned me sideways, so that my profile was parallel to the wall, and told me to place my toes right up against the edge of a strip of masking tape on the floor.

“Chip, what are you doing?”

Ignoring my question, he nodded with apparent satisfaction. “Okay, perfect.” He held up his hands. “Hold it right there.”

Dashing to his tool shelf, he grabbed some items and hurried back to where I stood. My yardstick and a pencil were clutched in one hand as he slipped our digital camera in his pocket with the other.

“Chip, what....” I stopped in sheer bewilderment as he placed the yardstick flat against my stomach, stretched it to the wall, and made a corresponding mark on the drywall with the pencil.

Turning toward me, Chip grinned again. “I’m measuring you! We’re going to record the whole pregnancy month by month on the wall, just like a growth chart. Except this one will be sideways.” He wrote today’s date above the mark before pulling out the camera. “We’ll take pictures so we can have a pictorial record too.”

I cupped his face with my hands. “You thought of this?”

Chip shrugged. “Call me sentimental.” Taking a step back, he held the camera out toward me. “Okay, Preggy Girl, smile!”

1 comment: