Saturday, June 26

Chip and I just had our first disagreement as parents. The subject matter?

Baby names.

We’re usually on the same page about most things, so it was a bit of a surprise when he reacted so violently to my suggestion.

“Alannah? Uh-uh. It sounds too much like the way we pronounce ‘Atlanta.’ I don’t want people to think we’re naming our offspring after the state capital.”

I tried not to be hurt. I really loved the name. “Are you sure?”

He wouldn’t budge. “Positive.”

I willed myself to keep from pouting. “Well, what girl’s name do you like?”

He smiled and twisted one of my curls around his index finger. “I’m pretty partial to Ellie.”

I made a face. “We’ve already talked about naming a son after you. I’m not going to name a girl after me and a boy after you. That would be too weird.”

“Okay. What about Jessica? I’ve always liked the name. We could call her Jess.”

“I don’t care for Jessica. Besides, I’m not going to name our baby one thing just so we can call her something else. Honestly, I really don’t know what my parents were thinking. Or for that matter yours, Percival.”

“Hey.” A mock warning flashed across his face. “Watch yourself.”

I crossed my arms. “If you don't like the name, why burden your son with it?”

“It’s not that I don’t like it. My parents called me Chip to keep me and my dad straight. Being named Percival is a family tradition. And I want to pass that heritage on to my son.”

“So you get to unequivocally choose our son’s name, but I don’t get to name our daughter? That hardly seems fair.”

It was Chip’s turn to be hurt. “Ellie, don’t you you want to name our son after me?”

I toyed with the fabric of his shirt. “Actually, I do. I just wish you liked Alannah.”

He pulled me into a hug and rested his chin on top of my head. “Sweetie, I think the name’s fine. Really. But I really believe people will think we're saying ‘Atlanta.’ Do you want to go through the rest of your life having to explain that that’s not what you said? I think in the end you would find it very frustrating.”

Why does he always have to be so right about everything?

Chip kissed the top of my head. “We’ve got a little less than eight months to decide on a name that we both love. That’s plenty of time.” He took a step back and held me at arm’s length. “Why don’t you check out a book of names from the library or do an Internet search and let me know what other names you like?”

I nodded. “I want you to be thinking about it too.”

He promised he would.

No comments:

Post a Comment