Tuesday, August 24

Second trimester: 14 weeks

According to my pregnancy books and online resources, some women can feel the baby as early as fourteen weeks, but I haven’t noticed anything different. Their description of what to look for isn’t helpful either. Apparently “quickening” is akin to looking at a piece of art: basically you could poll a hundred women and each one would describe it in as many different ways.

What’s really disappointing is that first-time mothers don’t know what to look for and therefore don’t recognize the movement until as late as twenty-four weeks—more than halfway through their pregnancy. With my luck, that will be me.

Speaking of polling women, I’m starting to get a little worried. Almost everyone I meet in the break room, no matter how svelte they are today, says they put on about sixty pounds when they were pregnant.

Sixty pounds! I was up fifteen pounds when I got pregnant, so I sure can’t afford another five dozen on top of that. I can’t bear the thought that I actually might weigh more than Chip before this is all over.

No comments:

Post a Comment