Sunday, July 4

Little One, I think about you all the time and wonder what you’ll be like. Indigo eyes like your daddy's or green like mine? Dark brown hair like my relatives' or light brown like his? Will you inherit your grandfather’s crooked smile and dimples? And what about your personality? Will you laugh and find joy in life, or will you be all business?

You’ll be such a welcome part of the family celebrations that we hold each holiday at the home of your great-grandparents, like the cookout your father and I went to this afternoon. Even though no one on either side of the family has ever badgered us about having children, it was so hard not to say anything to them about you today. I can’t wait to see their faces when we tell them you’re on the way!

My child (I just love writing that!), if you and your spouse decide to keep your pregnancy to yourselves after finding out that you’re expecting someday, only then will you understand how difficult it is to keep such a wonderful thing secret. When Granny G. asked me and your Aunt Linda to insert the leaf in the oak dining room table, I confess I pretended to pull on my side. But in truth, I let your aunt do all the work. It was just too heavy to take any chances. I wonder if your aunt noticed. I also stopped myself from having a slice of the apple cake after Granny G. revealed she had made it with artificial sweetener on account of Granddad’s diabetes. You were foremost in my mind when I refused that piece of caffeine-laden fudge pie, too.

Could you feel the boom of the fireworks tonight as they exploded overhead? Did you wonder what they were?

There’s so much I look forward to sharing with you and experiencing through your eyes. Know that I pray for you often and ask the Lord to watch over you.

No comments:

Post a Comment