Tuesday, September 28

My husband tried opening the door tonight but became so frustrated with the keys that he banged on the door and yelled for me to open it instead. It was my first clue that something hadn’t gone well at his job and I wasn’t sure I wanted to hear what had so quickly eclipsed the euphoria of finding out we were having a daughter. But being a pretty good wife, I asked anyway.

He shot me a hurt, angry look. “Everybody came up to me today wanting to know what we were having, and I was shocked to see how the guys responded.”

I couldn’t imagine what he was talking about. “What do you mean?”

He sighed. “It was there for only an instant, but in almost all of their eyes, I saw a flicker of pity or disappointment. They recovered quickly enough to shake my hand and tell me how great it was, but it was there.”

“Everybody did this?” I couldn’t believe it.

“No. Only the guys. And not all of them, but several.” He shook his head. “Like boys are better, somehow. You’re a girl, Ellie, and I like you better than anybody!”

Even when he’s furious at someone else, he can still manage to make me feel great. It’s just another reason he’ll make a wonderful dad.


No comments:

Post a Comment